A few times this week, dinnertime has been less than ideal. Kids crying. Short tempers. No fun.
It’s definitely not always that way chez nous, but those hours at the end of the day can frequently be trying. I don’t think it’s necessary to spell it out here; I’m sure lots of you know what I’m talking about.
That time of day can be even harder when I have no idea what I’m making for dinner. Usually, I’m pretty good at meal planning. However, sometimes, it’s 5pm and I realize that I haven’t even thought about what I’ll make for dinner. Oops. So for times like that, it’s good to have a few go-tos in my back pocket. These are my number one. I make them probably twice a month. You should make them too. I mean, if you want.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Cilantro Pesto
2 large sweet potatoes, roughly peeled
1T ground cumin
1/4t cayenne pepper
1-2 cups black beans
1 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
2 medium cloves garlic, peeled
juice of 1 lime
1 serrano (or jalapeño) chile pepper
2/3 cup olive oil
feta or jack cheese
1. Cut sweet potatoes into 1cm cubes. Toss to coat with olive oil, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees until they reach the desired softness. About 30 minutes.
2. A few minutes before sweet potatoes are finished, toss the black beans into the pan to warm.
3. While the sweet potatoes are roasting, make the cilantro pesto. Mix all ingredients in a food processor or with an immersion blender. Add more olive oil if needed to reach the desired consistency.
4. If you’re feeling fancy, warm or char your tortillas on the stove or microwave.
5. Assemble tacos with desired accoutrements and enjoy!